Sunday, June 23, 2013

Visiting Denisa: June 7th, 2013

Of course no visit to Oradea would be complete without spending some time with Denisa, her brother Adam, and parents, Iuliu and Lucia. Because of my limited availability, Lucia decided to take the children out of school early on Friday so we could spend the day together. Denisa is doing vey well in school. She is a typical pre-teen who loves to write songs about stars and dreams, listen to music and dance. She is also learning to play the guitar. She continues to amaze me, especially when I consider that she was the sickliest child in the orphanage!




Her brother Adam is a gentle soul who also has many talents, including drawing. He was recently diagnosed with Asperger's. This can be devastating news to any parent, but here in Romania it is even harder as disabilities are not accepted and therapies are non-existent. I was thankful that Lucia confided in me and that I was able to offer her hope,  as well as some practical advice. On the very positive side, Adam is now able to hold a pencil correctly and no longer needs to use the pencil grips I brought him in December.

No comments: